Or what do you recommend for other people to watch? Here are my recommendations. There are some pretty good movies out this month, a lot of them modern classics. Please add your own in the comments, and share this post far and wide. Let's get a good list going here, people!
- The Station Agent— the movie that made everyone's favorite Game of Throner, Peter Dinklage famous.
- You can have a Jodi Foster triple feature with Taxi Driver, Silence of the Lambs, and Panic Room. If you haven't seen Taxi Driver, YOU MUST SEE IT. It's one of those movies from which people recite lines that you are supposed to know. Just watch the movie.
- Donnie Brasco, for which Al Pachino should have received an Oscar, and not that Scent of a Woman bullshit with which he stole the Oscar from Denzel Washington who really deserved it for Malcolm X.
- Fright Night (1985), a classic which provides exactly the right combination of horror and comedy. You will LOVE this movie. BONUS LOVE: The actor who plays Evil Ed eventually became a gay porn star in real life.
- Devil in a Blue Dress, starring Denzel Washington, is a film noir set in late 1940s (early 1950s?) Los Angeles. This movie is sultry and suspenseful. Denzel appears in a wife beater. So. Moist loins and all that. The best thing in this movie— even better than Denzel in a wife beater— is Don Cheadle who got an Oscar nomination. WATCH IT.
- Unreasonably scary Mothman Prophesies. The prettiness of Richard Gear almost— almost— soothes your fears, but not quite.
- Looking for really uncomfortable drama? Then The Ice Storm is for you. Watch Tobey McGuire, Sigourney Weaver, Kevin Kline, and Christina Ricci make you grateful for the relative sanity of your own family.
I hope this list has helped you. I look forward to your recommendations.