I'm attempting to make a quick dinner of frito pie. Unfortunately I forgot the Cheddar cheese while I was shopping earlier. I did find a small block in my freezer. It's 2-3 weeks old.

My question is should I use it? I think I read somewhere harder cheeses like cheddar can be used even if they have dried out a bit, and "aged". I don't see any mold spots. I would think if I did see any mold I could just cut it off.

Since I'm working with a slightly drier cheese, what will the quality of the "melt" be like?

ETA:
Is there a reason the word "mold" appears as a typo underlined in red on Kinja with the iPhone?

ETA#2: Apparently I had my keyboard set to "English (UK). Problem fixed.